Sr. Director, Product Research, Epicor Software

Software Architecture

This blog is not associated with my employer.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Diagnosis: XML Fetish

The apparent medical experts who wrote According to Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation – Hands-On, have – in Chapter 3 – diagnosed me as having an “XML Fetish”:

Yet practitioners of contract-first development, working in the XML Schema language in an XML editor, tend to become distracted from those core concerns and start to worry about exactly how the data is to be represented in XML. Consequently, they begin to debate, among other things, the virtues of various ways of encoding XML, and become highly suspicious of anything that might inhibit them from seeing and fiddling with XML. The XML becomes a fetish, falsely imbued with the true virtues of contract-first development, and, as Sigmund Freud wrote, "[s]uch substitutes are with some justice likened to the fetishes in which savages believe that their gods are embodied" (1977, 66).

Wow – I’m practically paranoid! I think I understand the points the authors were trying to get across: Let the XML serializers do their job and stay out of the way. The preaching and the lame attempt to bring Freud into the discussion really put me off.

To (badly) paraphrase Norma Desmond, XML is big. It’s the toolkits that got small. Experience tells me that you actually have to keep a sharp eye on the WSDL and XML emitted from just about any toolkit. The W3C has a working group basically dedicated around that fact.

Let’s say I have a service that accepts purchase order lines. Purchasers can buy things that they receive and stock (items) or services that will be rendered. Items have a code and a quantity; services have a free-form description and an estimated cost. How do I create a service description for an operation that gives the caller that kind of choice in what gets sent?

In XML Schema, I can simply say “xs:choice”.

In C# (or most languages), I can implement this choice using a number of tactics. The most obvious way to go is polymorphism: create a base class POLine and two descendent classes StockedItem and Service. The function prototype then takes the base class as an argument. Hmm – try that once and see what kind of interoperable service description you get. My bet is something like xs:any.

To be fair, .NET has added a ton of attribution to the XML Serialization mechanism. You can implement a choice construct that works pretty well. But the attributes you need to faithfully build such a C# types are very specific to .NET and probably even less intuitive than XML Schema (never thought I would say that). Further, you have no guarantee that Microsoft (or any toolkit vendor) won’t change the XML Schema constructs mapped to a class construct when new framework versions shipped. We had this happen between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0.

I tend to build data contracts using XML Schema first. Then I roll the schemas through the various class generators to see how good the output is. Then I build a service using the generated classes to see how good the WSDL will be. Then I build yet another set of types using the generated WSDLs to simulate what service consumers will experience. Finally and if all looks good, I throw all of it away except for the original schema, which gets incorporated into the service description directly and, sometimes, into the service code base via XML Schema validation. I don’t like building static types for message payloads or data domain members. But that’s a whole other topic!

No comments:

Archive